Monday, October 25, 2010

One Nation, Under God

When did I realize I was American? Such an easy question...you would think. But when you really examine it. The question becomes alot more complex. I mean you have to really look at what an american is. When i hear the word american i think of handworking, independent and materialistic values. But as the years go on americans have become more and more materialistic and want to be successful but don't want the work that goes along with becoming successful.
So when the question was asked when did i realize I was American? It was hard to answer because nobody wants to be affiliated with negative things. But there is some light to the story. Since America is also very diverse, not only in ethnics and race but also in ideas and mind sets, thats when i anaylized the question again. I realized that I was an american when i had a dream to be who i wanted to be. And knew that here I had the resources to live that dream out. Americans are embracive, stubborn, open-minded, traditional people. We are so full of contradictions as a people, that its hard to classify us as a specific description. We are who we want to be, if we set our minds to it, sky is the limit.
We Are Americans.

2 comments:

  1. I really like how you started off your blog. It's a lot harder to define what an American is then one would think, but you gave a clear, definite description of what it means to you. It's nice when you know more about yourself isn't it? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although there are many negative things associated with being an American, I think the positives outweigh all the negatives. After all, if America was such a negative place why would people want to immigrate here? I think American's define themselves, which you did wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete